Nasal obstruction is a frequent condition in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). Nasal obstruction leads to mouth breathing, which is thought to destabilise the upper airway and aggravate the condition. Three conditions could be considered as the cause of the nasal breathing obstruction: anatomical conditions of the nose (septum deviation, hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates), chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) and chronic nasal inflammation caused by allergic rhinitis or non-allergic cellular rhinitis. In this prospective study, we present an evaluation of all these possible rhino-sinusal aspects in OSA patients to correlate different nasal pathologies with nasal obstruction. Fifty patients with a diagnosis of OSA were enrolled in the study. In 70% of OSA patients, nasal obstruction was confirmed by clinical evaluation and rhi-nomanometry testing. Normal rhino-sinus aspects were present in only 20% of OSA patients, whereas one or more pathological rhino-sinus conditions were present in the remaining 80%. The percentage of OSA patients with a diagnosis of allergic rhinitis and non-allergic rhinitis was 18% and 26% respectively. Non-allergic rhinitis with neutrophils (NARNE) was the most frequent type of cellular rhinitis diagnosed in OSA patients (20% of cases). The results of the present study support and extend the observation that rhinitis is present in OSA patients. Mucosal inflammation caused by these conditions could be the cause of upper airway patency impairment inducing nasal mucosa swelling.

L’ostruzione nasale è una condizione frequentemente riportata in pazienti con sindrome delle apnee ostruttive del sonno (OSAS). L’ostruzione nasale porta alla respirazione orale, che si pensa possa destabilizzare le vie aeree superiori e aggravare l’OSAS. Tre condizioni potrebbero essere considerate come la causa dell’ostruzione respiratoria nasale: condizioni anatomiche nasali (deviazione del setto, ipertrofia dei turbinati inferiori), rinosinusite cronica (CRS) e infiammazione nasale cronica causata da rinite allergica o riniti non allergiche a cellularità. In questo studio prospettico presentiamo una valutazione di tutti questi possibili aspetti naso-sinusali in pazienti con OSAS al fine di correlare le diverse patologie nasali con l’ostruzione respiratoria nasale. Cinquanta pazienti con una diagnosi di OSAS sono stati arruolati nello studio. Nel 70% dei pazienti con OSAS, l’ostruzione nasale è stata confermata dalla valutazione clinica e dal test della respirazione con rinomanometria. Normali aspetti naso-sinusali erano presenti solo nel 20% dei pazienti con OSAS, mentre una o più condizioni patologiche naso-sinusali erano presenti nel restante 80%. L’incidenza di pazienti con OSAS con una diagnosi di rinite allergica e rinite non allergica era rispettivamente del 18% e del 26%. La rinite non allergica con neutrofili (NARNE) è stata la diagnosi più frequente nei pazienti con OSAS (20% dei casi). I risultati del presente studio supportano ed estendono l’osservazione che condizioni rinitiche sono presenti nei pazienti con OSAS. L’infiammazione della mucosa causata da queste condizioni potrebbe essere la causa della compromissione delle vie aeree superiori inducendo edema della mucosa nasale.

Nasal pathologies in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea [Patologie nasali in pazienti affetti da sindrome delle apnee ostruttive del sonno]

Polimeni A.;Vicini C.
Ultimo
2019

Abstract

Nasal obstruction is a frequent condition in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). Nasal obstruction leads to mouth breathing, which is thought to destabilise the upper airway and aggravate the condition. Three conditions could be considered as the cause of the nasal breathing obstruction: anatomical conditions of the nose (septum deviation, hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates), chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) and chronic nasal inflammation caused by allergic rhinitis or non-allergic cellular rhinitis. In this prospective study, we present an evaluation of all these possible rhino-sinusal aspects in OSA patients to correlate different nasal pathologies with nasal obstruction. Fifty patients with a diagnosis of OSA were enrolled in the study. In 70% of OSA patients, nasal obstruction was confirmed by clinical evaluation and rhi-nomanometry testing. Normal rhino-sinus aspects were present in only 20% of OSA patients, whereas one or more pathological rhino-sinus conditions were present in the remaining 80%. The percentage of OSA patients with a diagnosis of allergic rhinitis and non-allergic rhinitis was 18% and 26% respectively. Non-allergic rhinitis with neutrophils (NARNE) was the most frequent type of cellular rhinitis diagnosed in OSA patients (20% of cases). The results of the present study support and extend the observation that rhinitis is present in OSA patients. Mucosal inflammation caused by these conditions could be the cause of upper airway patency impairment inducing nasal mucosa swelling.
2019
Magliulo, G.; Iannella, G.; Ciofalo, A.; Polimeni, A.; de Vincentiis, M.; Pasquariello, B.; Montevecchi, F.; Vicini, C.
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
aoi-2019-04-250.pdf

accesso aperto

Descrizione: versione editoriale
Tipologia: Full text (versione editoriale)
Licenza: Creative commons
Dimensione 247.68 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
247.68 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11392/2414503
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 9
  • Scopus 41
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 34
social impact