PurposeTo investigate the efficacy of early therapeutic deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) in eradicating fungal keratitis that is poorly responsive to medical treatment.Patients and methodsTwenty-three eyes (23 patients) underwent early therapeutic DALK within 15 to 50 days from the onset of symptoms. The adopted eligibility criteria for early DALK included the following: active fungal keratitis affecting the optical zone with ulcer confined in the 6.00 mm central cornea; deeper than 150 Î¼m but not exceeding 300 Î¼m; and poorly responsive to medical treatment.ResultsThe big bubble technique was accomplished in 74% (17) of eyes, whereas manual dissection was performed in the remaining 26% (6) of eyes. Histopathological examination did not show any sign of fungal colonization in the peripheral and deep stromal lamellae in any case. All grafts were transparent postoperatively, and no recurrence of infection occurred. Median best spectacle corrected visual acuity significantly improved from 2.0 (1.0 interquartile range) logMAR to 0.1 (0.1 interquartile range) logMAR (P<0.01). The mean follow-up was 32Â±10 months. Neither episode of rejection nor graft failure was noted during the follow-up period.ConclusionEarly DALK could represent a safe therapeutic approach to eradicate fungal keratitis that affects the optical zone and is poorly responsive to medical treatment.
Scheda prodotto non validato
Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo
|Titolo:||Early deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty for fungal keratitis poorly responsive to medical treatment|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2017|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||03.1 Articolo su rivista|